Dove Tail Punches
QUICK GUIDE TO PERFECT GASKETS
Allpax Dove Tail Punches are perfect when cutting from material smaller than the gasket to be cut. More than one piece of gasket material can be used by dove-tailing the pieces together
- on a piece of paper or cardboard, layout the Outer diameter (OD), inner diameter (ID) and bolt holes of the desired gasket.
- From gasket material, cut arcs of material with the proper OD and ID.
- Lay the arcs onto the template, overlapping each end by at least the height of the Dove-Tail punch to be used. Position the overlaps away from bolt-hole locations. As overlaps are made tape down gasket material to the template on either side of the overlap.
- Place the Dove Tail punch onto each overlap and tap with your hammer to make an initial indentation. Finish the cut by striking the Dove Tail punch with solid, flat blows. Top and bottom materials will now have mating dove tails. Tape the dove tail joints together for easy handling.
- If the gasket is very wide design two or more side by side dove tails per joint.